Sunday, February 2, 2014

"My Connections to Play."

“Play is the work of the child.” – Maria Montessori The playing adult steps sideward into another reality; the playing child advances forward to new stages of mastery.” – Erik H. Erikson “Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.” – Mr. Rogers
I loved to play when I was little; I did a lot of dramatic play from playing school, office, house, gas station and much more. Playing office was something I did most often and my dad would support that play by bringing home scrap paper and notebooks from his office. I loved to write too, I had a great love for pens, pencils and paper, and still do. We did not have many “toys” so we created our own play. I feel that my love for dramatic play grew great skills within me. I feel organization skills were one of the best skills I learned through playing office. Coincidentally I work in an office every day. I feel that play made me who I am today. My favorite toys:
I actually had the above barbie. I remember when my mom bought it for me, when my friends would not share. I am saddened by the lack of play throughout today’s generations. Play as I know it has been replaced by technology. I am trying to instill play in my own children, but I do struggle within this technological society. I too love technology and model my love each day to my children. I have to make a conscious effort to show my children play.

No comments:

Post a Comment