Saturday, October 11, 2014

Adjourning

            As I read the blog question, my eyes filled with tears. I have just recently adjourned from a group that I was part of for ten years. It was very hard for me to leave. I was so upset on my last day I even got physically sick. We were at the performing stage and performing very well. It was so hard to leave because of the trust and love that had formed between all of us. We had become a great team that we even could read each others moods by facial expression when we arrived in the morning.  This group had established norms and new the expectation of the supervisor and company.  We adjourned by celebrating together with a BBQ pool party, reminiscing and enjoying what was.
             I believe that it is harder to leave a group that is established and performing well because success feels good and no one want to leave something that feels good. However, when in order to grow it is essential to move on to the next project or step in life.  I also believe that sometimes a group can stay together too long and complacency can occur and growth of the individual will cease. I know I do not want this; therefore, it is imperative to know when it is time to adjourn whether or not the project is complete or not.

A movie demonstration/ Fun way of seeing  the stages of team development in action...taken from Remember the Titans.




         
I have enjoyed working with all the students and teachers here at Walden and I will miss the learning experience once I have completed my program; however, I, sadly, have not felt close to any particular person and I will be happy to have finished this difficult endeavor. 

3 comments:

  1. Jocelyn,

    Wow, ten years! That is a lot of memories! I had not particularity thought of the complacency piece but you are so right. If we aren't moving forward maybe it is time to move on. I do agree that it is hard to "get close" with peers when taking on-line classes and knowing that each class is just eight weeks. I do feel that there has been support and a shared passion amongst most of the peers. This has been a grueling challenge for me as well and I too will be relieved to have actually completed such a huge undertaking. I wish good things for you.

    Jenn Pore`

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn,
    Your post reminded me of my senior year in high school when I had to face many adjournments that made me very sad. I also performed with my high school choir and the honors chorale, many of us having worked with one another for several years. I think the adjourning strategies (i.e. pool parties, pizza parties, banquets, and final performances) help to soften the blow of the "loss" of these important relationships. Thank you for sharing your memories.
    P.S. I LOVE your blog page. :)

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocelyn,
    I wanted to take this time to THANK YOU for your contributions to not just this course, but also the field of early childhood. Throughout the past 8 weeks I often found myself responding to your discussion and blog posts. I felt I could relate to the content you were providing and hope your journey here at Walden is great! Thanks again for the hard work you put in, in this class! Without colleagues dedication like you, I wouldn't be as educated in the field of early childhood! :)

    ReplyDelete