Saturday, August 23, 2014

Hoping for a world that embraces diversity!

One hope that I have when you think about working with children and families from diverse backgrounds simply put is that I demonstrate to them that I accept them and want to be educated in their differences.  As I reflect on this statement, I am aware that this statement is directed toward every single person I encounter. Sometime these statements seem to be directed toward people with unique backgrounds from your own; however, every person I encounter has a different background. If I treasure, respect, and learn from every single person I encounter even those with the same ethnicity as myself I reflect a person that desires to get to know, support, accept, and understand every person or child as an individual. Individuality is preached about when it comes to the academic learning regularly. If we treat, every aspect of our relationships with the people we work with the same attitude anti-bias curriculum would be a no brainier.
Additionally, I am excited to continue to work with people from diverse backgrounds and not ignore our differences but celebrate them and become educated in various beliefs, attitudes and much more.


One goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice.
My goal would be to advocate for equity, tolerance, and anti-bias behaviors within my home, social, and work environment. The first step is to educate the people around me by having training. I believe this is the order in which a training sequence should go.


  1.     Understanding Your own Biases
  2.     Combating micro aggression
  3.     The three E’s of  Diversity: Educate, Experience, and Embrace 
  4.      Advocating for Equity and Social Justice
I reflected and created number three I am so excited about it.  I cannot wait to develop this training!

I have thoroughly enjoyed this class, and have learned a great deal about and from all of my colleagues through discussion and blog posts. I want to thank all of you for being transparent with some of your experiences. This really brought some emotional connection to the subject area. For me when my emotions are triggered it is something I remember for a lifetime.
Love and Joy to ALL of you!

Here are a few things I found that I liked.















No comments:

Post a Comment