Saturday, November 23, 2013

Childhood Stressors

If I were to sit down with any person in this world, they would have something to say about how they grew up.  Growing up we all deal with things that may not be positive, but children are resilient and it becomes their normal.  In many third war countries, they deal with much more than I ever in my life would ever dream of dealing with or seeing.  However, we all have our battles, some may not be as big as others may but it is still our battle.

 Three things came up for me:

One is chaos, now when I refer to chaos it is not the kind of chaos as war or violence.  The chaos in my house was with four children.  We all had our personalities, schedules, and needs.  Things were not always peaceful. It did not harm me per say, it mainly strengthened my ability to multitask, handle disorder, and to find peace within myself.  As an adult now, I require alone time often, and you will know when I need it because I will get grumpy.  Many times, I lie down and cover up; it is my safe place.  Additionally, I am able to step back now from lots of practice and evaluate a situation outside of myself.
The second thing I dealt with is my father being in the military.  I had to move a lot.  I still struggle with friendships because I have been conditioned that they move away, or I move away.  I have now lived in Colorado for 12 years.  The longest I have ever lived in one place. It was my life, I adapted just like any other kid, and I just kept my distance.

When I was in 7th grade was the first time my mom got sick. That was a very high stress in my life and during that time is when I gained weight…I have been fighting it ever since.  I am strong because of her, but I am also weak because of the situation. She died when I was 22 years old leaving behind five children, the youngest being 2 years old and me.

Malnutrition in Eastern and Southern Africa:
Eastern and Southern Africa have chronic malnutrition. Which is causing stunting. Stunting is irreversible; therefore, it is important to stop this symptom of malnutrition right away. UNICEF is aiding in the battle of malnutrition. One way is encouraging exclusive breast feeding, providing education, and providing nutritious food.

“Over the years, awareness of nutrition issues, particularly stunting, has increased, thanks to advocacy informed by researches. Sixteen out of the 21 countries in ESAR now have improved nutrition plans that no longer treat nutrition as a standalone sector, but one that needs to be integrated with health, agriculture, sanitation, welfare, education and others.Twelve countries are in the SUN partnerships, with Burundi and Kenya being the newest signatories. Ten countries have all or most of the provisions of the Code for Marketing of Breast milk Substitutes as law, with Kenya and South Africa having just recently passed this into legislation. Most countries in the region have bi-annual mass vitamin A supplementation as part of the Child Health Day campaign, together with other high impact interventions such as de-worming, immunization and distribution of insecticide-treated mosquito nets.Countries are increasingly recognizing Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition as part of the minimum core package of nutrition interventions. Seventeen of the 21 countries in the region have begun to build national capacities to scale up this approach.”
http://www.unicef.org/esaro/5479_nutrition.html

Sadly, children are dealing with this and have no control over it. It is so important that we educate these countries and give them the knowledge they need to support their children's growth and development.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Jocelyn, wow. You really had a rough life, I am so sorry for your lost. Nutrition is so hard in the lives of so many poor people, that with only a few good people who really care for them , they will have a better future. I hope that one day we just work together to as a society and find the way to cure this nonsense, we live in a society where we throw food away everyday whole other people around the world are suffering because they don't have a loaf of bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you misread my post. The malnutrition was about Africa...Not me personally. I agree with you that we all just need to work together!

      Delete
  2. Jocelyn I agree that we all as children deal with a stressor of some kind. We can all come up with a story or two about our childhood. In reading your post, I can see many similarities in your reactions as a child with a military dad; to my own children who are currently children with a dad in the military. I know the constant moving have not been great and my children have learned to cope by developing close friendships with very few people, what has helped is the use of so much technology.

    You again have a great point in how children in another part of the world have so little to eat and suffer from malnutrition. We alll hope that there is a day this will no longer be the reality for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocelyn, I am so sorry about your mom. My mom had cancer. It started when I was 6 years old. She battled it her entire life off and on. I lost her two years ago because of it. I guess I understand what its' like to lose your mom. I'm not sure it gets any easier as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete