Sunday, September 22, 2013

Childhood Web

 
My Family Web is so important to me! I would not be the person I am today without all of them.
 
JESUS 
 
 
My faith in Jesus Christ is the most important piece in my family web. I am nothing without Him in my life. My parents introduced faith to me when I was a child. Jesus has always been the one constant in my life.
 
 
MOM

My mom although in heaven now, played a big role in my life. I learned so much from her, she really supported my singing. Sometimes my mom and I clashed, but she taught me many lessons and helped make me the person I am today. She encouraged me to build my faith in Christ, she was in the early childhood field too. I watched her when she got sick stay strong and throw up every day but still go to work. She had impeccable work ethic and dedication. She self sacrificed her whole life. One of my fondest memories of her is when she laughed she always had to cross her legs so she wouldn't pee her pants...back then I didn't understand why, but now after having babies, I UNDERSTAND! :) My mom was the voice of reason in my life, she was strict and was always on me for my behaviors and attitudes. My mom tried hard to ensure that good values, standards, and Godly ways were instilled in me.

 
DAD


My father was the first love of my life. My dad understood me more than most people did. I am a lot like him in that we both feel that life is full of many things we do not understand, and should not be despised or shunned, but explored. My dad was my biggest supporter. His opinion met more to me than any others. My father and I had some special times together; he took me to my voice lessons every week. It was our special moments. When I would choose songs to sing he would talk with me about how to express them. My dad was the one that told us how we should wear our hair. He is very artsy and creative. My dad was a spiritual leader too; however, he approached it more as a choice not a demand. He allowed me to express myself, and discover new things. My father was the leader of my self-discovery. His voice and approval gave me strength. 


MY FATHER THE COOK


My dad is Italian and meal time during the holidays is very important. We have tradition that when we are all together we follow. Christmas eve is a smorgasbord of Italian food, every kind of pasta you can think of along with antipasto and stuffed mushrooms. When dad calls dinner you better come while the pasta is perfect, or else he will get very upset. Family dinners were a must growing up even if it was only once a week due to the busyness of four kids. I have many memories from the dinner table from playing the umm game-(talk about your day/week without saying um) It was a great way to teach us not to use filler words when communicating. Another game was we would sit on our dads lap and talk and he would be our hands. It was so fun.  
 
 
MY FAMILY MINUS MY MOTHER 
 
 I was 8 months pregnant in the above picture
 
 
 
Dad, Me, my twin sister Jasmine
 
My siblings twin sister Jasmine, brothers, Stephen, and Jared. We taught each other how to love even when you hated each other that blood is thicker than water. We went through a lot together, mom being sick and much more. We grew up as military brats; therefore, we had no choice but to be friends because when we moved we only had each other.

I was very competitive with my sister. She taught me the skill of working harder.
Stephen and Jared were my little brothers and we fought often, but we always loved each other in the end.

Isaac my youngest brother came along after I left for college. Our mom died when he was two. So I think he taught me how to share memories and keep my mom alive in our hearts.
 
 
GRANDMA
 
 
 
 

My Grandma has played and still plays a great role in my life. When I graduated from high school, I chose to go to TN where she and my grandfather lived. My grandma and I are friends. I aggravated her sometimes, and grandpa would have to make the peace, but she loved me and I her. After my mother died, my grandma became my mother figure. I love her with my whole heart. I am so blessed to have a grandma like her who taught me not to put my wet towel on the bed and so much more! Love is what I feel from her most. I know her and she knows me, and that means so much to me. I can be who I am with her with no fear of reprimand. I love sitting on the porch and drinking coffee with her and just talking about everything and nothing.
GRANDMA GERMAN -SHARED HERITAGE
Grandma is full blooded German. She has a German accent mixed with southern. It is so fun to listen to her talk. Grandma cooked many German meals for us and spoke German with my mother. I know a bit of German. Wish I knew more.
 
 
 
 
 
This assignment has really opened my eyes to how much my family means to me, and how influential they have been in my life. I have many more family members, but the ones above have played such a big part in my life. I have discovered that friends weren't as important as I thought they were back in the day. I venture to say that if I really sat down and dissected my life, I would find many more people that had an influence on my life.  I pray that I have a great role in my children's and students childhood web. 
 
 
 

 


2 comments:

  1. Your family is lucky to have a strong woman of faith guiding them and teaching them how to be respectable adults. You and I both know from our experience in ECE that many children lack values today. It is wonderful that the values your parents and grandmother taught you will be passed down to your children. You have proven that you can be friends with those that you guide and mentor while setting limits and boundaries. You did that with your grandma and your children will do that with you. It is clear that you are not only a great educator, but a great mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very lovely family with lots love and caring. Thanks God together all of you and guiding your path to showing your love to every important one in your life. Similar to you learn a lot positive characteristics from my grandmother and she is still influencing my life. Seems those who have good family experience are willing to dedicate themselves to education.:) All the best to you and you family :)

    Vivian Lanyan Lu

    ReplyDelete