Saturday, September 13, 2014

Finding Carter- Communication

This assignment was fun and aggravating all at the same time. When I watched Pretty Little Liars. It was very dramatic with the volume down. You could see expressions and body language that expressed all the feelings under the sun. I was pretty spot on about the emotions that were being displayed such as
-anger
-happiness
-sadness
-frustration
- love
I was right about the emotions but not correct on the plot of the show.

I decided to do this with a show I like to watch.

 Since I really enjoy watching this show with my daughters I found it hard to not cheat and hear what was going on; however, when props were used and through body language, and my background knowledge, I could figure out what was going on. What I figured out is I know the characters, therefore, I could read their body language and facial expressions. I just didn't know exactly what was going on so I was aggravated. Then I had an ah-ha moment. When we are not communicating successful people know we are trying to communicated something and they become aggravated with the disconnect. Our body language and facial expressions express the emotion that we have when expressing our thoughts. Isn't it interesting when you are at church or at a training the presenter that is more animated with facial and body language is more interesting to listen to than the one that just drowns on with not facial or body language. Its true...right?

I heard a quote once that communication is 85% body language and facial expressions, and 15% actual words. (something like that) In other words, our physical expressions will give us a way every time.  For example, I say to my daughter please go clean your room, she says (sometimes) ok mommy,but her face frowns and her shoulders droop. I know she doesn't want to do it.

This is why I prefer having parent conferences in person rather than over the phone because their body language may be saying something other than what their body language is saying and I can address that at the time.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jocelyn, I believe that your body language and facial expressions say a lot about how you feel about the conversation. I have never been big on smiling so a lot of times people think that I am mad and I always hear the question "what's wrong with you, why you look so mad" and that isn't the case at all, so I try to be more conscious and smile more even though most of the time I'm am happy go lucky but my facial expressions and body language say otherwise to individuals who don't truly know me because the the last thing I want is for people to think that I am being rude to them or am not interested in what they are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about body language and being able to read more into what is being said. I have experienced conversations that I have had to modify because I could tell by the body language that what I was saying was ineffective. I agree about trying to have in person conferences because of this, plus I feel that the personal touch is so much more appropriate when you have the ability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocelyn,
    Great post this week. I have watched pretty little liars before and can relate with amount of emotions you saw whether it was happy, sadness, frustration, or love.However, I have never heard of the show you watched with your daughters before. You added great insight to the importance of body language. I completely agree that body language and expressions can tell you SOO much about a conversation. You also added a great point about conferences. I often times have parents who would do anything to NOT show up for their conference (or so it seems :)). But you gain so much more from the conversation by being present.

    ReplyDelete