Saturday, September 20, 2014

Communicating Differently



Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
I do not feel that I communicate differently pre say with people from different cultures; however, I do change how I communicate. I know that it sounds like an oxymoron, but I will communicate the same things I may just talk a bit slower if a person I am talking to does not speak English.

If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
Ok… so I guess I do communicate differently, because I do not communicate the same way with children as I do with adults. I talk to children on their level and in words that they understand. As I think more about it, I talk more professionally to my supervisor than I do with my friends.

The answer is that I communicate the same things with people but obviously in different ways. 

3 comments:

  1. Jocelyn,

    I Really like that distinction that you made about communicating the same information, just in different ways! I think I get that you are saying that you communicate that you care, for example to both parents and children but that you would deliver that emotion in different ways?

    Jenn Pore`

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jocelyn, good point about those who don't speak English. I didn't think about that. I think that I enunciate my words slower and I talk a little louder. Just realized this today when I was at the grocery store and after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocelyn,
    We wrote basically the same post for this weeks discussion! Working for Head Start I often times worked with children and families who had English as a second language. I wanted to make sure my families felt comfortable within my center so I made sure to talk in a way that I felt was more informational. I also made sure that all individuals not matter their cultural diversity felt comfortable within the classroom. We incorporated all cultures, brought pictures from home, had show and tell with items brought from home, and encouraged guardian/parent involvement.

    ReplyDelete