Saturday, September 6, 2014

People and Communication styles

As I read this question, I realized that their has been numerous people of whom I have learned from. I have adopted some of their skills or techniques. I have also learned from people by knowing I did not want to communicate in their style.  So I learned what not to do.


Here are the following things about communication I have learned from people I have worked with.

In a meeting:

* Have open body language
* Take notes in a meeting
* Active listening
* Summarize the meeting at the end
*Follow up and open the communication again if needed

In a personal relationship

* Active listening
* Cool off before talking
*Don't react/ respond

What I have learned not to do.
* be defensive
* use bully words
* Don't raise your voice
* Don't change the focus of the communication to you at inappropriate times!


These are few things I have learned from professional that have crossed my path.

Communicating is a difficult skill, but I can say that I learn something new every day.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take you took on this weeks blog assignment, I loved it! I only thought about positive communication styles and not about how I did NOT want to communicate with others. Within my professional experience I often times see people getting defensive which many times, results in someone raising their voice. From all the experience you have had with people displaying this type of behavior and communication styles, what things have you done to make sure you do not communicate in a negative ways displayed by other people you have seen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you learned what NOT to do...I never thought of that. This is true, as I have met many a professional and make a mental notation on those things. Even while watching the video segment, I was thinking of those communication styles to avoid, but never really thought about that until reading your blog...thank you and best of luck this course.

    ReplyDelete